Thursday 15 October 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Tomorrows War US Army Light Infantry Platoon

This week I decided that rather than painting up new forces that I would get around to finishing off models for armies that I already have done (or almost done).  It is also less stressful for me since painting small batches of models is more fun than whole platoons at once.  So, on Wednesday I banged off the last 16 models for the force described below.  

As I have stated earlier this year, I like GZG's Cal-Tex models.  I am a sucker for full face helmets and I really like the design of these ones.  Sadly, the range of poses is quite limited, but, I have a feeling that we will see some surprises from Jon at GZG in the near future.

I use the Cal-Tex range for the US Army in Tomorrow's War.  Combined with the GZG Generic Command pack and GZG Civilian Technicians I have all the figures I need for the human portion of the platoon.  The GZG NAC would be a better choice for this nation, but, for the time being I am not collecting that range.  

The platoon consists of 30 men, 25 AGPs, 1 Medical Droid and 5 MULES.  I have not painted up my Old Crow MULES for this force yet   

HQ Squad: 

  • Platoon Leader with M1 Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR)
  • Sergeant with M1 ACR
  • Battle Technician with M1 ACR
  • 2 Riflemen with M1 ACR
  • Medic with M1 ACR
  • Autonomous Medical Unit
  • MULE Command Unit with 3 Grav Sensor Drones

3 Infantry Squads, each with
  • 1 Squad Leader with M1 ACR
  • 4 Riflemen with M1 ACR
  • 2 Gunners with M233 SAW
  • 2 Autonomous Gun Platforms with SLAM Launcher [Shoulder Launched Assault Missile]
  • 4 Autonomous Gun Platforms with M41 Gauss General Purpose Machineguns
  • 1 Autonomous Gun Platform with Multi-Purpose Plasma Cannon 
  • 1 MULE Transport



Weapons Squad:
  • 1 Squad Leader
  • 3 Autonomous Gun Platforms with Multi-Purpose Plasma Cannons
  • 1 Autonomous Gun Platform with M41 Gauss General Purpose Machinegun
  • 2 Battle Technicians with M1 ACR


It is unlikely that this full TOE would be fielded in a single game.  Being a light infantry platoon this formation has no armor attached to it.  It relies on either air or leg transportation to get to the fight.  

There are of course more Cal-Tex troops painted up than are shown in this photo (riflemen and RPG gunners).  Apparently the US Army prefers robots to meat sacks for their heavy weapon carriers, so those boys sit in barracks.  

Tomorrow’s War TOEs for the various nations are not equal, strength wise.  A DPRG platoon is vastly outgunned vs a US Army platoon for example.  Being a scenario based game it is incumbent upon the players to figure out what makes for an exciting game for both sides.   Simply lining up two platoons is unlikely to give either a balanced or enjoyable game.  

7 comments:

  1. Great work as usual my friend

    Those Caltex are old bit still niceπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    Thanks for sharing
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Np. We will be seeing new versions soon.

      Delete
  2. Very nice looking force. Do you have a breakdown of paints used? 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Check out my Cal Tex entry on my blog here. The recipie is there. I kept it out for sake of brevity here.

      The robots were done with Vallejo German uniform. Army painter strong tone dip and then highlighted with Reaper Pale Lichen. The Reaper Moss Triad is a perfect match for the German uniform color.

      Delete
    2. Recipie is here
      https://darebearsminiemporium.blogspot.com/2020/08/15mm-sci-fi-gzg-free-cal-tex.html?m=1

      Delete

Visitor Total