Sunday 7 February 2021

15mm Sci Fi - Individual basing vs Group basing


I have a large painted miniature collection, both in 28 and 15mm.  The problem is I can never decide on a rules system to rule them all.  This impacts my model basing strategy since some games are structured around a specific basing system.  Over the years I have come up with a number of ways to make my collection, for both miniature scales, as flexible as possible.

Before I go into details, lets go over some of the rule systems that I use and or plan to use.  

Fantasy

  • Warhammer/Oathmark - Individual based models.  Movement trays.  
  • Kings of War - Group basing.  
  • Hordes of the Things - Group basing.  Base size dependent on model scale.  

Sci-Fi

  • Gruntz - Originally designed for individually based models.  Version 2.0 is moving towards group basing but can be utilized either way.  
  • Alien Squad Leader - Group basing.  Units take 2-3 hits before elimination.
  • Tomorrows War - Works best for individually based models.  Group basing can be used with difficulty.  
  • USEME / Fireteam Andromeda / Laserburn / Beamstrike / No Stars in Sight / Clash on the Fringe - Individually based models.  

Originally, I  began my miniature painting career with Dungeons and Dragons in the 1980s.  RPGs are by their very nature individualistic, so group basing was totally unknown to me at the time.  This carried over once I began painting 15mm figures. 

As time went by I was exposed to move and more game systems.  Many of these used the group basing concept.  It seemed strange and unappealing to me; why would someone hamstring themselves by basing their miniatures in large groups?   Eventually though, I began to read some of these systems and found them appealing, particularly Alien Squad Leader for sci fi and Hordes of the Things for fantasy.  The problem was my entire collection was individually based.  What to do?

The answer was quite simple: create the bases needed for each game system and find a way to temporarily secure models to them.  This would preserve my desire for flexibility while at the same time allow play with group based games.  

For a game like Alien Squad Leader the process was rather quick: take an MDF base and flock it in the same style as my miniatures.  Blue or White Poster Tac is then used to attach the various models to the base (temporarily).  Some of my models use large bases which prevent multiple models from being placed on bases this way.  This is not always  aesthetically pleasing though.  My solution to this was to create, where possible, small dioramas on specific MDF bases, trees, clump foliage, rocks, ect.  This provides the visual bulk needed when a single model is placed on a base which is slightly too big for it.  

Alien Squad Leader Regular Infantry, on 50mm square bases.

Hordes of the Things required a bit of a hybrid approach.  At 28mm all units have a 60mm frontage (depth being variable depending on the unit type).  This is a pain since my collection is based on 20mm, 25mm, 40mm and 50mm square bases.  In some cases, depending on the unit type, there is simply no good solution.  Behemoths for example are 60x60.  This means I can get 1 Ogre miniature on a base.  Not exactly visually appealing.  For other sizes though I use a combination of my ASL approach and custom bases.  

Hordes of the Things Custom Bases: Taking an MDF base of appropriate size, I then use plasticard strips to create a base with a recessed interior.  This is more visually appealing than just placing a 50mm base on top of a 60mm base.  In some cases the depth of the base (say for flying units, 60mm x 40mm) is the same as the base of the model I am going to use (40mm x 40mm).  In this case only the sides of the 60mm base have plasticard, since the depth of the base is the same as the model.  The figure then simply slides in between the two edges.  The model is secure since the width is slightly less than 40mm.  Just enough to get the model in but not slide out.  

Custom MDF bases, some with magnets

Models are  now ready for a Horde of The Things game.



None of these examples is particularly original or creative.  My idea was to be as simple and utilitarian as possible, allowing  my models to be used in a variety of ways without being tied to one particular game system.


6 comments:

  1. That's one of the conundrums with 15mm...I think your sabot method works really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things being equal I think single basing is the way to go. It leaves you with far more flexibility than multi basing.

      Delete
  2. Ah the 15mm conundrum..... I do both just because I started out with the old WRG games system of multiple
    basing and I like the mini-diorama look, also there the fact that you can mix min manufactures on the same base and your eyes will do the rest, lol. That said individual basing is by far the most flexible. So your sabot basing idea may be the best compromise .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a struggle for us all in every scale!
    Pursuing flexibility = accepting compromise somewhere at the end of the day
    Which doesn't make it any easier at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I prefer individual myself. Allows for skirmish games.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the link to this article. Most helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Visitor Total