Sunday 28 February 2021

28mm Fantasy - Citadel Miniatures Dungeons & Dragons Red Dragon, circa 1986

 My wife was born in the year of the Dragon.  Needless to say, she likes Dragons.  I painted this boy years ago.  My wife since adopted him as her own, and every so often I add to her dragon brood.  

This is one of the few Citadel miniatures that was made for TSR, a Red Dragon for Basic Dungeons & Dragons.  The box art is of course from the iconic Frank Mentzer boxed set for levels 1-3.  When I think D&D this is the first picture that comes into my mind.  


Citadel Miniatures Red Dragon for TSR's Dungeons & Dragons

He was easy to paint: a series of Reaper Master series reds.  I cannot remember which ones...it was so long ago.  Yes, I kept the box.  Skalathrix lives in the Cloudwall Mountains, just west of the City State of the Invincible Overlord.  She is one of the most dangerous denizens of all the Wilderlands.


Every Red Dragon needs treasure.  These came from Dwarven Forge.  I used to have 31 boxed sets of Dwarven Forge resin dungeon and cavern sets (I got them when they first came out and were relatively cheap at the time).  I never really used them and eventually sold them years ago to a guy in Japan for $8000.  I thought he was nuts.  





My wife's brood is growing: Red, Green and Blue dragons sit upon their rocky perches.  

In any case, this particular piece will always remind me of my wife.  She puts up with a lot.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Total