Sunday 25 October 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG NI Assault Infantry and GZG Grav Armor

 This past week was a busy one; two projects back to back: GZG NI Assault Infantry and GZG ESU Naval Infantry platoons.  

The NI are almost done.  I still have heavy weapons teams and power armor to finish off.  That will happen next week.  This is the forth time I have painted this range over the last 10 years.  The newer figures are far superior to the old.  No mold lines to speak of and almost no clean up.


GZG NI Assault Infantry

These guys were somewhat simple to paint:
  • Vallejo Grey Primer (matte)
  • GW Militarium Green Contrast Paint
  • GW Basilicum Grey Contrast Paint for all weapons
  • Army Painter Military Shader Wash in specific recessed areas.
  • Reaper Pale Olive for armor highlights.
  • Vallejo Gold for the visor.  Washed in Army Painter Strong Tone.
  • Reaper Polished Gold for visor highlights.


The type of primer used will make a big difference in how the Contrast Paint works and looks.  Personally I found that a Satin or Gloss Coat undercoat does not give me the finish that I am looking for.  The paint is too translucent and goes on patchy and blotchy, especially on larger surface areas.  This has been my experience so far with the greens and reds at least.  The highlighting was not pleasing at all so I had to do it by hand.  


The grav armor was painted awhile ago.
  • Vallejo Russian Green Primer
  • Vallejo Camo Black Green in all recessed areas.
  • Vallejo NATO Green on all exposed areas.
  • Vallejo Camo Green and Camo Light Green in layered highlights on all panels.
  • Vallejo Light Green from their color modulation kits for the final highlight.






This is the last time I will use Contrast Paints for "army level painting".  They work fine for small areas and accessories, but for 15mm figures, as a whole, they have not worked for me.  Perhaps I just dont know what I am doing.

14 comments:

  1. Another great force Dan,
    Still have to oaint mine.
    As to contrast paints, I use them to good effect with W&N inks & my own mixes but never alone.

    Thanks for sharing
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic army... do you actually know how many different forces you own? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Too many. I have painted and sold thousands over the years. My personal collection is perhaps 2000 15mm models and 1500 28mm.

      GZG DPRG, TW US Marines, Darghaur, TW Brazilians, NSL, UNSC, NI, Kra,Vak, Ixx, Alien Mercenaries, Phalons, Free Cal Tex, FSE, ESU, Crusties, Mercenaries, Xar, Outrim Coalition, Armored SWAT, all the armed and unarmed civilians. Tons of robots and vehicles.

      Alternative Armies: Greys, Laserburn Imperial Troopers, Asgard Space Marines. Lots of individual aliens.

      Khurasan: Lhurgg, Xenomorphs, Red Faction.

      Eureka: Zentarans.

      Most of my collection is painted. Only the ESU, UNSC hardsuit marines, FSE and Zentarans are left to do.

      Delete
    2. Too many? Let me shoulder some of your burden... I give you my adress and I take ... let's say 300 or so? ;)

      Delete
    3. Then you would have a storage problem like me. The sad thing is these generally get packed away and never see the sun again. I have to start work on my Khurasan Soriogs and their grav tanks and Tau Crisis suits. As the song goes, "you aint seen nothin yet."

      Delete
  3. ..plus my Brigade Models Polish force.

    GZG NAC is on the list for next year. I am waiting for something special. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really excellent work. Great shading on the figures. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. I only applied washes to very specific areas, otherwise the colors get washed out. The Army Painter Military Shader is a fabulous color. useful for many different applications.

      Delete
  5. I thought you liked polyshades minwax better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. However I wanted to experiment with this particular contrast green color and minwax was not the right tool to use along with it.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic looking army! I really like the new NI figures but have so many of the older style ones still to paint, I can't really justify buying loads more. At least that's what I tell my wife...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Use the old ones as test models. You will of course have to replace them with the new ones because, reasons.

      Delete
  7. I like the depth and highlights you achieved with the contrast paints. These turned out very well to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erik. Actually I would not use them again. Contrast Paints don't really fit into my painting skill set. I would use them for small accents only now, with everything else being done the old fashioned way. The results are better, more consistent between models and quicker to achieve.

      Delete

Visitor Total