Saturday 3 October 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG/Old Crow Mercenary WIP Project

 I am trying to finish off my GZG Mercenary force this weekend.  Normally I only show finished models.  Consider this a sneak preview of things to come.

My GZG Mercenary force is large, almost 100 men and robots.  A small portion of this force was shown on this blog earlier this year.  This batch will finish them off.  The infantry are basecoated and ready to go.  I have hundreds of paints, from Vallejo, Reaper, MIG the list goes on   However I find that usually I end up using something for Tamiya for my basecoats   Their color pop range is good and they airbrush perfectly, drying very quickly as well.   They don’t brush well at all though, unless you use their thinner or 99 percent alcohol.   



The vehicles are all Old Crow.  I have finished 3 Trojan Grav APCs already in the scheme I will be using.  It is a generic monochrome scheme that will go with my Laserburn Imperial Troops, UNSC, Mercs and my Asgard Marines.  I needed a neutral color that would go with red, tan and grey white.   My wife says I succeeded. 

Infantry are always hot glued to sticks and airbrushed.  A hairdryer is used to remove them when complete.  I always line up identical troops on single sticks.  This keeps things simple and speeds up the painting process.  


Old Crow vehicles are modular.  If you place an order, get extra turrets.  You never know what you may need.  I always add extra bits - hatches, pintle mounts, extra weapons, whatever.  Wheels are done separately if I can help it; hot glued on sticks and airbrushed.  Vehicles are always done all in one day.  That way I can keep my technique uniform across a whole vehicle pool.  

Stowage is done separately.  It is attached to sticks and airbrushed and then painted with GW Contrast Paints.  I then attach them later as I see fit.  These vehicles will likely get very little since the armies they will be paired differ from each other quite a bit.


This vehicle scheme was super simple:

  1. Tamiya Medium Grey.
  2. Vallejo USAAF Light Grey on the panels.
  3. Vallejo Grey White on the panel centers
  4. Vallejo Sea Grey for odd bits just to make them pop.
  5. Pintle mounts done in Dark Sea Grey
  6. Windows Vallejo NATO Black
  7. Gloss coated and then washed with Minwax Tudor Polyshades (thinned, always thinned)
  8. Windows highlighted with Reaper Sapphire Blue, True Blue and Sky Blue.
  9. Missiles done in Flat White.
  10. Decals will be added at a later date.


The scheme gives a good generic sci-fi look and fits well with at least four other armies that I have.  Yes I do not have a problem swapping out vehicles from one army to the next.  With almost 15 human armies I cannot possibly have a separate vehicle pool for all of them.  



I maintain a large supply of bits.  Whenever I make a GZG order I always grab extra stuff and never throw anything away.  









4 comments:

  1. Excellent job! I wish I could paint military vehicles in a one color scheme but after panting so many real ones as a young troop by hand I now think in MERDOC ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. I normally don’t do a lot of monochrome schemes but Old Crow vehicles have a lot of flat surfaces which are really good for color modulation painting.

      Delete
  2. So much sweet stuff! You cannot go wrong with Old Crow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I got the infantry and 16 robots done today. Finished. 11 hours of painting. Vehicles next.

      Delete

Visitor Total