Monday 12 July 2021

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Ixx Army

Well, I finally got around to photographing my GZG Ixx army that I painted last year.  The Ixx (called Vallax in my universe) are multi-dimensional aliens who utilize both the organic and bio-mechanical devices to wage war across the Multiverse.  Like Humaniti, the Vallax have created minions in their own image.

The army was built with Alien Squad Leader in mind: it is designed for both Alien Imperial, Cyborg Enslaver, and Alien Enslavers.  For the Alien Enslaver primitive forces I use Khurasan's Space Demons, although I do have some of their Bug Swarms to paint up in the same yellow scheme.  Of course these models are usable in Tomorrow's War and other rule sets with no issue.  Preferring to keep my models individually based, for ASL I simply use white tac to attach them temporarily to 50mm bases.  

GZG Ixx

I decided to go with the same scheme across the whole army: an insect like appearance for both their organic and bio-mechanical forces.  Spots are actually quite easy to do.  Just do random blobs and dots until you are satisfied.  

Ixx models count as Regular Infantry in Alien Squad Leader.  By design, I can get three models on a 50mm stand.  The actual number of them and on the stand does not count.  However, my preference is to fit as many models on a stand as I can.    

GZG Ixx Aliens

Alien Squad Leader has no dedicated model range.  That makes it a modellers dream: just about any model can be used in the game. The only limit is your imagination.  My bits box is a treasure chest for all kinds of stuff that I can cobble together.   The unit types I list are just some examples of what types of units the models could represent. 



Cyborg Enslaver Thrall stands contain 3 Spider Drones and a Grav Drone (to represent PSI control nodes via the Masters). They could also be used as Robotic Infantry in an Alien Imperial army.  

GZG Spider Droids
The three flying disk droids (something I made from GZG and Alternative Armies bits) are used to represent the leaders of the Enslaver armies: disembodied Vallax brains encased in metallic shells.  They count as Command Stands.  I have several
models from the Sadistic Space Demons range from Alternative Armies.  I use them as Character models (telepaths for example) or as Heavy Weapon Squads.   


Various types of GZG mobile weapon platforms (grav and walker) are used for long range firepower.  They count as Crewed Weapons and Floaters in Alien Squad Leader.


Hornet Grav Drones could count as either Close Flyers (normally one would use primitive models for this unit type, but I like robots), or Floaters (weapon platforms). The larger Bio-Mecha tackle enemy armor.  They count as Armored Vehicle Walkers and Crawlers in Alien Squad Leader.



various models from GZG, Khurasan and Alternative Armies


I used various yellows to break up the monotony a bit. 


After photographing these I decided to head back into 15mm Sci Fi projects for the time being.  I have several small projects to complete which I hope to showcase here in the coming weeks.  I still have two Old Crow Alien Grav tanks to add to this force.  Stay tuned...

16 comments:

  1. Love the mottled dot camo. So going to steal the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. The hardest part is the first model. It can be a bit unnerving to add black blobs to a finished miniature.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Most appreciated. Thanks for looking.

      Delete
  3. Love them. Especially yellow bone color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Umpapa. Yellow and black are natures way of identifying insects which are best to be avoided.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I wish there were more in my area playing 15mm scifi. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. This genre is a niche for sure. No one plays where I am...only me. Sometimes I can con my kids or one of my nephews into playing. It is far more affordable than other more popular games.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely put together and painted!

    Regards, Chris.

    https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. You have a lot of nice Germans yourself.

      Delete
  6. hopefully there will some new spider bots soonish......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them. They look very nice.
      Lots of folks are looking for you and your MDF buildings BTW.

      Delete
    2. Largely don't have the time to do the lasering, my warehousing job leaves me more than a bit knackered at end of day (better than being on Dole or carer allowance). Happy Licence my MDF designs.

      Delete
    3. Question: I am in desperate need of four double colony shop doors and four single colony shop doors. Do you have any lying around?

      Delete
  7. They look incredible! Great camo scheme and really clever use of different ranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. The minwax Pecan stain did a lot of the work for me. It warmed up the color and made them look more organic than they otherwise would have.

      Delete

Visitor Total