Saturday 31 July 2021

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Military Buildings

 I realized the other day that I do not often show or talk about terrain. Terrain is just as important to (well at least to me anyway) as the figures who fight over it.  Luckily, for both 28 and 15mm I have a large selection.  Not as massive/impressive as someone like Robin Fitton, creator of Gruntz, but I am working on it.  

GZG makes some fantastic 15mm scale buildings, for low tech colony worlds and small military/science encampments.  I painted these five some time ago.  Assembly was a bit of a pain, but it was likely just me.  They did require some Woodland Scenic Flex Paste here and there to fill in gaps.  

GZG Military Buildings

I went for a Tamiya Medium Grey, white white grey accents.  Everything in the future will be Medium Grey....just watch Star Trek.  

Buildings by GZG.  Vehicles by Old Crow.  Figures by GZG.

Some folks might wonder why my buildings are not on bases.  I considered basing them many times.  There are several ways of doing this: MDF, foam board, old CDs, ect.  All of these are good and sound methods.  However, I prefer to keep my buildings as modular (aka virgin) as possible.  Quite often, games have different rules between them concerning buildings and their use.  Zone Alpha & Gruntz (which treat building as fixed emplacements) play very differently than say Alien Squad Leader (which treat buildings as Area Terrain, repositionable just like trees within a defined area) .  For this reason, I keep buildings and vehicles un-based, usable in  any game without limiting my choices.  At least that is why I tell myself.   This is probably just crap and an excuse for laziness. 

Solar Panel by Mad Mecha Guy.

The proper terrain can create an evocative feeling for any game.  My actual gaming time is less and less over the years.  When I do get a chance to play the creating of a feeling/mood is just as important as the actual game.  This is also a good excuse to buy more stuff that I probably don’t need. 

Located in the Outer Veil, Altair 4 is a lonely place for grunts.

Ladar keeps a close watch on the surrounding mountain range.

The only problem I have with terrain is storage.  My inventory is so large that it has become a problem at times.  Perhaps it is a good problem to have?

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Storage is the number one problem for me also. This is why I went 15mm in the first place, but it didn't really help much. My return to painting was going to be in 10mm to save space, but it took so long to arrive that I folded and went the other way to 28mm purely based on the greater availability. Of course, now the 10mm arrived so er.. Maybe a handbrake turn is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I remember from your old blog that you avoided vehicles due to space. I understand that completely. Space limitations caused me to downsize quite a bit over the years, especially in the 28mm range. Recently I grabbed several wall mountable display cabinets from Amazon. They work perfectly for 15mm. I should post them sometime. They solved a lot of problems for me.

      Thanks for looking Spacejacker. Considering the 15mm Sci Fi community is so small and spreadout world wide, being in the GTA, we are practically neighbors.

      Delete
  2. I quite like those- very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cod. They are very nice, and very reasonably priced, especially when purchased as a full set.

      Delete
  3. I like them! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking Dave and the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Those are going to look so great on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I still have more to show...stay tuned.

      Delete

Visitor Total