Thursday 1 July 2021

Ral Partha Chaos Archers & Crossbowmen, completed, June Reflections

 June has come and gone.  Honestly, I did not get much painting done during the last 30 days.  Quite simply, I was not in the mood.  Since January I have painted 400+ 28mm scale figures of all types and the desire to paint more of this scale is rapidly evaporating.

However, I hate leaving jobs unfinished.  In my box of lead I still had 36 Ral Partha Fantasy Armies Chaos archers to paint.  I already had 48 in my forces but again, leaving odds and ends lying around bothers me.  So, with nothing better to do I finished them off.  It took roughly one week, picking at them one unit at a time during the evenings.  Again, I am going for a Tabletop+ effect.  I simply don't have the desire to paint works of art (like I even can really) on an army level scale anymore.  

Unlike the new editions, older versions of Warhammer Fantasy Battle allowed for Chaos to field missile troops.  This was dropped after 3rd edition however.  Sad.  Having that ability gives many more options other than hack and slash.  Anyway, since I play games other than Warhammer they will see use no matter what the GW gods may desire.

Chaos Archers & Crossbowmen, from Ral Partha Fantasy Armies

Crossbowmen are equipped with Arbalests, steel crossbows.  They were done in neutral colors, usable as mercenaries or in any of my three Chaos armies.  


One unit of archers was done years ago, in a different paint scheme.  They are darker than the other 24.  


The warriors equipped with shortbows are actually quite a pain in the ass to spin off according to Martyn at Ral Partha Europe.  Actually, his exact words were, "...if anyone had ordered a whole unit of them no amount of warm, sweet tea would have been enough to calm me down".


These models can also be used in Kings of War, specifically in the Kingdoms of Men faction.  Although they are on 25mm bases (vs the required 20mm), the frontage of four models is the same as five 20mm models (KoW only cares about frontage and depth).  This allows me to use 12 of these to form a Regiment in KoW, or 8 to form a Troop.  


The longbowmen were done in Slaaneshi colors, silver and pink.


"Archers at the ready!"

The question is what to do next.  I have a major 28mm project to start: my Perry Agincourt army.  However, this is over 400 models and I am not sure I am up for it this year.  Also, I still have hundreds of 15mm sci fi to paint and finish off.  They are much quicker to bang off and perhaps a change of pace would be good for me.  In fact, I am looking at a big box of Khurasan figures right now.....they are calling me.




4 comments:

Visitor Total