Saturday 17 June 2017

Reaper Miniatures Ogres, by Bob Olley & Ben Siens

Reaper Miniatures is probably my favorite manufacturer of specialty figures for Fantasy Gaming.  Their range is unmatched in selection and the castings require very little clean up. So, lets switch from Ral Partha for a moment and review some of Bob Olley's work for Reaper Miniatures.

These Ogres are larger than the older Ral Partha designs.  They would probably classify as giants in the 1970s and 1980s.  Yes I have Ogres from that period and you will see just how large they are compared to those.  However, despite their size they work remarkably well with the 1990s Ral Partha Fantasy Armies Ogre line.  The differences can be explained away with plausible excuses: different Ogre families (hill vs mountain), genetic variation, exposure to Chaos energies, wicked sorcery....whatever. 

The figures below are not the whole Ogre line by Reaper.  I only painted Bob's stuff, and two models by Ben Siens, since his style is similar to Bob's.  These guys could serve in Warhammer as Tyrants, Bruisers, Ogre Maneaters, or even as Standard Bearers in regular units (rally around the tall guy fellas!).
 
The Reaper Miniatures Ogres

My method of priming has remained the same:
  • airbrush the whole model in Tamiya German Grey.
  • at a 45 degree angle airbrush the model in Tamiya Deck Tan.
This method gives shading to the areas that need it and lightens the areas that do not.  If I had primed the whole model in black there would be no way I could have achieve the muted tones that a lighter base color allows.  Likewise, if I had used plain white it would have take far too long to paint the whole model since the areas in natural shadow would require more work to finish and there is always one spec of white that seems to be somewhere that I forgot to paint (annoying).  Dark Greys and Tans are perfect for the effect that I wanted.

Lets get into the individual models now.

Vourgha the Ogre by Reaper Miniatures
 Skin was done in Reaper Olive Skin Tone Triad.  The fur was done in the Classic Brown Triad.  Boots were done in Saddlebag Brown, then washed with my homemade Walnut Brown wash.  Walnut brown is my "Go-To" color in my paint collection.  I dilute it 1:10 with my homemade paint thinner.  When used as a wash I find it much superior to say the Vallejo or GW washes (HERESY!).  Most of the washing on the models was done this way. 

 

The wolf pelt was done in Stormcover Grey, washed with highly diluted black, then dry brushed with Ritterlich Blue.

Orankar, Ogre Boss
Orankar's armor looked more like hardened leather than metal (at least to me at the time).  So to change it up it was done with the Redstone Triad rather than traditional metallic colors or a brown.  This guy is an elite amongst his tribe so I wanted him to stand out.

I don't think Wilbur will be talking to Charlotte for awhile
 Orankar apparently takes his lunch to work.  Wilbur was done in the Rosy Skin Triad.

Hill Troll, by Ben Siens
This Hill Troll was sculpted by Ben Siens.  I like this guy; he reminded me of an angry old man, or neighbour that you don't want to run into.  He shall be called Filtch.  His pants were done with Shield Brown and Driftwood Brown.  His shirt was done in the Khaki Triad. 


Filtch takes his lunch too.  The boar was done with the Soil Color triad.
 
Garnuk, the Ogre

 Garnuk was done the same as everyone else.  He likes his club.  It will be used.


Garnuk works out!  Look at that back.

Gurm, Reven Monster
Gurm is another one of Ben Siens models.  He looks remarkably similar to his friends, so he was included in the family.  His armor was also done in the Red Stone Triad since it also looks like hardened leather to me. 

Gurm likes his thong. Check out my warty ass.
All these guys were a blast to paint. 

 Next up will be a blast from the past: Ral Partha Ogres from the 70s and 80s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Total