Friday 10 December 2021

15mm Sci Fi - The Old Crow ground vehicle WIP pile has been completed!

Yesterday I pushed through and finished off the last 4 of my Old Crow ground vehicles for my North American Confederation forces.  That makes 38 vehicles painted in less than two weeks, with my total model count for the year standing at 888 figures of all types.   

My painted vehicle pool now stands at 280 1:100 scale models of all types.

The NAC vehicle pool is comprised of Antonitis Workshop & Khurasan models.  However, they did not have any support vehicles in their pool which was a bit of a gap.  My leftover Old Crow models nicely filled this shortfall.  Later this month they will be getting a small amount of reinforcements: 3 Provider Transports (which will be dual use as both cargo carriers and as a Tac Missile Launcher and supporting Long Range Radar Vehicle, allowing me to make maximum use of all my turrets) and 1 JagdLancer Assault Gun (another vehicle type that never actually appeared for purchase on the Old Crow web site), bringing this pool to 22 vehicles in total.  

These were done in my standard "NATO  Green" scheme with my two Iwata airbrushes.  

https://darebearsminiemporium.blogspot.com/2020/10/15mm-sci-fi-tomorrows-war-us-army.html


  • Primed Black
  • Tamiya Black Green as the base overcoat,.
  • Tamiya NATO Green on all raised areas, leaving the shade in recessed areas.
  • Tamiya Cockpit Green on all upper panel centers.  
  • Tamiya NATO Black on all tires and tracks.
  • Tamiya Metallic Grey for all pintle mount weapons.
  • Vallejo Model Color Sky Grey on the Tactical Missiles.
  • Vallejo Model Color Off-White on on the missile pod warheads.
  • Stowage was picked out by hand with various colors: Vallejo German Camo Beige, Vallejo Green Yellow, Vallejo German Camo Bright Green.
  • Vallejo Black, Imperial Blue, Enchanted Blue, Electric Blue and Glacier Blue on vision slits.
  • Vallejo Black, Red, Scarlet, Bright Orange and White on all targeting sights.
  • MIG Filters: Grey for Light Green and Accumulated Dust on areas which would collect dirt.  I could have used additional filters and other washes, but I stopped here.
  • Tamiya Weathering Pigments (Mud, Sand, Light Sand & Light Green).
  • Alclad Flat varnish, sprayed through the airbrush as a sealer.

Normally I would have given vehicles in the scheme a wash with Polyshades Minwax Tudor.  However, this time I did not.  I relied on my airbrush to provide the necessary shading and my Filters and Weathering Pigments to do the rest.  This resulted in a very close match to the current vehicles which were done with the Tudor applied.


My reasons for this were twofold:  Old Crow models consist of large flat areas.  This geometry does not lend itself well when trying to apply a wash to the model as a whole.  Washes need to settle in recesses, of which there are few.  


Secondly, I have relied on this product for far too many years and I am trying to branch out and explore new techniques and products.  Sometimes you have to throw away the crutches and risk falling in order to walk.  
  

Next up will possibly be adding small white numbered decals to my 22 vehicles done in the red oxide scheme.  That will be hours of work which I am dreading.  I do have a small amount of characters and various beasts to complete, which will become a Christmas Holiday project and bring my painted model count to 900 figures.  Other than that, my painting for this year is more or less completed.  

I think its time to focus on game reviews and other articles of interest.  


2 comments:

  1. They look great Darren - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I just picked up A big batch of vehicles and buildings from Brigade Models (their Christmas Sale...15% off). I could not help myself.

      Delete

Visitor Total