Saturday 18 December 2021

28mm Fantasy - Reaper Young Ice Dragon

 This Christmas my wife is apparently getting a bonus gift: a Christmas Dragon, care of Reaper Miniatures: a Young Ice Dragon.  

I purchased this guy earlier this year along with some other of his brood.  I had some time today so he got a well-deserved paint job.

Reaper Miniatures Young Ice Dragon

The scheme was simple:

  1. Primed the whole model in Black, then Grey on top at a 45 degree angles, leaving the black in the recesses.
  2. Vallejo Game Color Glacier White was thinned down to allow me to airbrush it, then, thin coats were applied at 45 degree angles.  
  3. A final highlight of Tamiya Flat White was done on the upper areas of the model and wings.  
  4. The chest was very carefully airbrushed with Vallejo Model Color Pale Sand with my Itata HP-B plus airbrush (this tool was necessary for this precision work).  I could have painted them by hand, but airbrushing them was easier and more satisfying.  
  5. The eyes were done in Vallejo Model Color German Camo Dark Brown and then a dot of Vallejo Model Color Ice Yellow.
  6. The tongue was painted Reaper Monster Maw and adjoining flesh with Vallejo Blue Violet, then the whole interior mouth was washed with Army Painter Flesh Tone.
  7. Claws were done with Vallejo Model Color German Grey & Dark Blue Grey, with a small highlight of Pale Grey Blue.
  8. The base was sanded, then painted with Vallejo Model Color German Camo Dark Brown, and drybrushed with Vallejo Model Color Tan Earth and Vallejo Game Color Bone White.
  9. I added small patches of grass then added Games Workshop Snow, doing several layers to build it up.




Overall I am pleased.  He was simple and easy to complete, and the only model with snow in my massive collection.  Perhaps I should do more......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Total