Monday 9 November 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Anti-Tank Guns & ESU Crew

This weekend was quite productive: 80+ miniatures painted, including two towed anti-tank gun teams.

GZG Towed Anti-Tank Guns

I have been meaning to paint these for years; not sure what finally made me get around to these.  The scheme was simple: ESU camo pattern on the crew and a color modulation green on the guns.
  • Vallejo NATO Green Primer
  • Vallejo Camo Black Green over the whole model.
  • Vallejo Camo Green on all upper gun areas.
  • Vallejo Camo Light Green on exposed areas
  • Vallejo Light Green (from the Russian modulation kit) as a final highlight on exposed areas).
  • Vallejo Matte Black on the wheels.
  • Vallejo Gun Metal on ammo cannisters.
  • Washed in thinned Minwax Polyshades Tudor
  • Tamiya Weathering pigments (Light Green and Sand)


The crew are removable.  They are held in place with blue tac.  I struggled with the decision on whether to base the crew permanently to the base along with the gun.  In the end I decided that the gun was more akin to a vehicle rather than an infantry support weapon.  By making the crew removable I could accommodate both the rules from Tomorrow's War and allow different crews (i.e. non ESU troops) to man the guns.   



Overall I am pleased with the outcome.  I have another two guns to complete, but they will likely be im the field artillery versions rather than anti-tank guns.




4 comments:

  1. Good job Dan.
    I totally agree with you that crew should be seperate.Sometimes I do that with mortars etc.also,especially since I scratchbuilt quite a number of hy wpn systems.(you check them out on my blog)
    Thanks for sharing
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zune. Usually I just go with the crew that comes in the packs. I use GZG robots for extra ammo bearers when/if I feel like it. With crew served infantry heavy weapons I dont worry about it as much though. I assume that not every crewman needs to be modeled in all cases. I would just allow for the model to take an extra "hit" in these cases.
      You are the scratch building king I think. OMG.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Dan.
    You're too kind, 🙃🙃🙃
    That's a good idea about the Gzg robots.

    Why not try your hand at some plastic sprue scratch building? I did some easy to follow how to's.... you won't know until you try...

    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see a couple of the robots in my ESU platoon. They are hiding but they are there.
      Sadly I don’t have temper for scratch building. I am by nature quite impatient. It’s a miracle I can even paint. Perhaps nice my projects are done I will give it a try.

      Delete

Visitor Total