Monday 6 July 2020

15mm Sci Fi Alternative Armies - Imperial War Crabs



Alternative Armies produces some very unique sculpts for 15mm Sci Fi.  When I need something "unusual" I typically go to their store and almost always find what I need.

On this occasion I was in the market for "Crabwalkers" for my Alien Squad Leader Tripod Army.  My initial thought was to use old metal 40K Necron Tomb Spyders.  But those were rather expensive for an auxiliary unit for a niche army.  Luckily Alternative Armies had just what I needed.

Alternative Armies Imperial War Crabs
 Assembly of the five units was quite simple.  Minimal flash on the legs, which apart from the claws were all that required fitting.  The models were airbrushed (at 45 degree angles to try to achieve a color modulation effect) in my standard alien scheme: Tamiya NATO Black, followed by Vallejo Model Air Black Metal, Gunmetal and a Steel highlight.  I followed up the airbrushing with a coat of Future Floor Finish and then hit the models with targeted Vallejo Grey Wash.  A gloss coat is important since it prevents staining of flat areas and makes the wash goes where I want it to.







Here is a scale comparison.  The models are roughly the size of medium size BattleTech mechs.


Another scale comparison shot.
Rebel Minis Martian Soldier Tripod, GZG Crusty Mech, Alternative Armies Imperial War Crab, Battletech Mech & GZG Crusty Battlesuit


 Finally, an overhead scale shot, with a large Martian Tripod in the background.


I am pleased with my purchase.  The units were reasonably priced (discounted no less) and fit the bill perfectly for my Martians (or any other alien army really).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Total