Tuesday 30 June 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Alternative Armies Laserburn Imperial Troopers

Warhammer 40K Space Marines were not the first incarnation of that glorious order.  That honor belongs to another, the Imperial Troopers from Laserburn.  I will not go into detail about this game or the background.  That is available online.  In any case this range was sculpted by Brian Ansell back in the early 80s for his Laserburn miniatures game.


The sculpts are true 1:100 in scale.   This means they are a bit smaller than some of the minis coming out today from various companies.  I have about 50 of these guys, done in the same scheme: Tamiya German Grey, Reaper Deep Red, followed by a light drybrush of Reaper Blood Red and Phoenix Red and a touch of Vallejo Orange Red.  These figures have a lot of armor details; I found drybrushing the easiest way to bring these out.  I added white dots at various places to represent light hitting various points.  It aids the eye and gives some extra pop!

Alternative Armies Grey Alien, Imperial Trooper, GZG UNSC, GZG Tomorrow's War US Marine

 The range has a lot of different sculpts, from regular troopers to various special weapons.  The weapons are not super detailed but the heavier ones are slightly different from each other which aids in visual identification.


Dreadnoughts are Proto Space Marine Terminators









 Personally, I LOVE these sculpts.  They are my favorite sci-fi miniatures out there.  Period.  The pictures on Alternative Armies web site do not due them justice at all.  These could easily represent any 40K Space Marine faction, including Chaos Space Marines.  In Alien Squad Leader they easily fit into the Human Imperial Range and as Alien Imperials.  For more traditional games like Tomorrow's War I use them as Vilani marines from the Traveller universe.

6 comments:

  1. Great work.
    You won't believe it , I just did mine in white ( faux star wars stormtroopers)
    I had them for some 30 years !!!! My only gripe is that they're true 15mm so small
    When compared to other minis. I made mine with spacers so they'll be taller.
    Thanks for posting
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see them sometime. Thanks for looking.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant this takes me back thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are awesome. Apparently there were 25mm versions but they seem to have vanished from the planet unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have another entry on them somewhere. A much improved paint job actually.

      Delete

Visitor Total