Tuesday 16 June 2020

Army Painter Dip or Minwax?


Over the years I have used both Army Painter Dips and Minwax.  Personally, I find very little difference between the two products.  I prefer Minwax Tudor for versatility and price but Army Painter Strong Tone is also an excellent choice for shading earth tones.

However.....if you are considering using Army Painter Dip or Minwax on figures or vehicles I HIGHLY suggest applying a coat of Future Floor Finish or another Gloss Cote of your choice before applying the varnish (not so much on 15mm figures but definitely on vehicles).

The varnish slides off the glossy high spots much easier and generally makes the whole process better (IMO).  Whenever I use the products on uncoated models I always have problems.

You can use mineral spirits to thin if necessary; but don't use too much or the stain will separate and you will have a messy model which will need redoing.


1 comment:

Visitor Total