Wednesday 22 July 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Japanese Power Armor Urban Camo

Camo schemes are not something I normally do on 15mm models.  The effect is normally lost due to the small nature of the figures and the distance on the tabletop.  However, I had these guys kicking around and decided to have a go at an urban camo scheme.

15mm GZG Japanese Power Armor

 It was a simple scheme to execute and looks pretty good when it is not right next to the Mark I Eyeball.

Japanese Power Armor Urban Camo


  1. Basecoat Tamiya JN Grey
  2. Hand brushed Vallejo US Blue Grey, Valleo Dark Panzer Grey.  
  3. Gloss sealed.  
  4. Army painter Dark Wash.  
  5. Highlight with US Blue Grey and Vallejo US Grey Light 71.045 
  6. White dots added at select locations to simulate light reflections which occur naturally.  It also draws the eye in and moves it around the model 

15mm GZG Japanese Power Armor

The trick with camo is to simply give the impression of a scheme.  At this scale it does not need to be accurate: large patches are better than trying to do something realistic (such as small camo patches).


The gloss coat was important before washing.  Otherwise the wash would have stained the blue and grey and required additional re-highlighting to correct the color.


I will likely do something similar with some GZG Grav Armor that I have laying around.

2 comments:

  1. Good job👍👍👍👍
    I like them.
    They're great minis.
    As you say doing camo realistically at this scale is almost impossible.
    I did mine in sand.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earth tones are always a good choice. I don’t mind doing camo for character models for skirmish games. But for large armies it is overkill. Way too much work, at least for me. I am actually very lazy.

      Delete

Visitor Total