Sunday 12 July 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Alternative Armies Rad Zombies

Every Sci-Fi game needs zombies.  It is a must.  For my 15mm far future battlefield I found Alternative Armies Rad Zombies were a perfect fir for my needs.



Each pack comes with five models in five poses.  There was considerable flash to clean up on each figure, taking a few minutes each.  This is typical of models which have thinner limbs, regardless of the manufacturer.  The models are comparable size with GZG figures.


Painting these monstrosities was very simple: I decided on a base coat of Tamiya Grey Green, which looks like sickly greenish skin (good for aliens too).  I then used a series of GW washes to tint the green to various shades: sepia, flesh shade, green, athonian camoshade and drakenhof blue (which is perfect for a waterlogged corpse).  This gave an excellent zombie appearance for a horde without becoming redundant.


I then applied Reaper blood via a wetbrush to various areas randomly and picked out various raw bone areas with Reaper Graveyard bone.  I wash of Delvan Mud was then applied across all figures as well as Army Painter Red Wash to various random areas.  Once this was dry I added some final blood and bone highlights along with a light dry brush of Vallejo Dead Flesh to random areas.

At 1:100 scale highlights need to be bold, no subtle bending here.  High contrast is needed for any details to show beyond a foot or so.  As usual, my photography makes the actual product look like crap.  I NEED to make a lightbox or something for taking proper photos.




Again, I am not disappointed by these figures from Alternative Armies.  They have a very distinct Fallout theme which I love.  They fit perfectly into my Alien Squad Leader forces as either Thralls for Enslaver armies or as Beasts for any number of factions which can field them.


2 comments:

  1. This is all very much a matter of taste, I prefer my fantasy stuff in 25mm. Most of my historical stuff is 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking figures though.

    ReplyDelete

Visitor Total