Tuesday 2 November 2021

15mm Sci Fi - Five Parsecs from Home Characters

 The last month has been a busy one for me.  I do not normally paint a lot of individual character models.  My focus is typically on platoon based games.  Five Parsecs from Home changed that.

Designed by Ivan Sorensen (my favorite game designer), Five Parsecs finally allows me a true solo game experience without the fuss.  Set in the same universe as Clash on the Fringe, it reminds me of the days of Laserburn and Traveller.  

The problem was that I really did not have any characters painted up.  So, this past month has been a furious painting ordeal to get all of the stuff I have had lying around for years done.  First off is a selection of Alternative Armies figures.  This company produces a fascinating range of models from all eras.  To be honest, if you could shop here for everything you  need for Five Parsecs and not be disappointed.  

All  manner of scum can be found at "Lucky Stars", the dingiest saloon in the Outer Rim.

Remember, I do not claim to be a great painter.  Sometimes I suck....and sometimes I pull off something magnificent.  Its just how I roll.

"Bow to Emperor Ming and his alien worm minon!"

The figures from AA range from human scum to the larger reptilian Thulg and the feline Mrurz.  

Captain Lucien prefers to shoot first and not bother with questions.  Flash Gordon prefers to enter combat blindfolded.  Sometimes he even hits is foes (...or friends in the back of the head).   


Alien Cyborgs and assorted space trash linger, hoping for the next big score.

The problem I have with figures like this is that I never know what the hell they are supposed to look like.  

Captain Braxton, "Humanity, fuck yeah!"

Thulg mercenaries are always eager to fight and eat....or just plain eat.

Next up are a selection of GZG figures, mainly Armed Colonists.  

GZG Armed Colonists

Lately I have been attempting eyes on 15mm.  Yes I am insane.  

The yellow guy in back is my tribute to Reggie Bannister from the Phantasm films. 
]

I took inspiration for some of these figures from the Alien movies.

The only thing left I have to finish is roughly 50 gang members from AA and GZG.  That will complete almost all of my 15mm infantry inventory (yes that means I am done).

6 comments:

  1. They look fabulous and it's a great collection that you have, I'm in awe. Even though I already have plenty of models should I ever want to play the game, you pointed some out that I have to put on my 'future purchases' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wouter. Character painting is not something I normally do. Picking a color scheme is torture for me.

      Delete
  2. Great looking collection. Painting eyes on 15mm….you are a mad man. 😂 They look great, I hope they aren’t as much trouble as eyes on 28mm figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My technique is simple:
      I draw a small horizontal line with Vallejo Model Color 70.822 German Camo Black Brown (black is too stark). I then add two small white dots to the right and left of the eye center point. I am basically painting with a single brush hair at this point, with the white being a small blob of pigment...the denser the better.

      The size of the eye determines plays a big part in whether I will even attempt this. Newer models tend to be a bit bigger, allowing the addition of this detail.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic painting job. Am familiar with the GZG figures and I think you have really brought them to life. BTW Your post has turned me on to 5PFH. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking David. Hope your games are enjoyable.

      Delete

Visitor Total