Monday 6 September 2021

15mm Sci Fi - Khurasan Control Battalion

 This weekend I finally got around to painting my Control Battalion figures from Khurasan Miniatures.  These have been in my WIP pile for 10 months.  No longer.  These were a lot more trouble than I bargained for.  70+ figures are pretty good for 3 days work though.  

These figures are suitable for any future force which loves to oppress their citizens.  For Alien Squad Leader games these guys would work well in a number of armies, including as World War 2 German Occultists.   The Control Battalion will merge with my Khurasan Terror Troops (see my other post) and to form a larger force: a large regular infantry contingent backed up by several squads of elite infantry.

Khurasan Miniatures Control Battalion

The figures are good sculpts.  However, I think the molds are showing their age.  The helmets are the main selling feature of these models.  However, the details on mine were sorely lacking in some areas.  The helmet eye slit was almost non existent and the sensor dots on the helmet were almost impossible to discern.  There was considerable flash to clean up (no big deal...I am just spoiled by GZG figures) and the hands on many of the figures were barely sculpted at all.  Since these are now very old figures I will give them a pass on this.  Grade A overall.

I did not bother to paint the drones which came with the command packs.  To be honest, the sculpts were not clean at all.  GZG drones will sub in for these.  


I went with a light blue, with a suitable lighter grey white helmet.  

  • Primed AK Grey
  • Model airbrushed in Tamiya Light Blue.
  • Helmet painted in Vallejo Model Air Light Gull Grey.
  • Weapons painted in Vallejo Model Air Sea Grey
  • Boots and Gloves & Visor Slits painted in Vallejo Model Air Dark Grey.
  • Hard armor plates painted in Reaper Coated Armor.
  • Sensors painted in Vallejo Model Color Red & Scarlet.
  • Washed in Polyshades Tudor.
  • Helmet highlighted in Vallejo Model Air White Grey.
  • Some hard armor areas were highlighted with Coated Armor.
  • To add some interest, dots in Vallejo Game Color Glacier Blue were added at various corner points where light would hit.  This causes the eye to move around the model and breaks up the areas.
I could have highlighted the fabric and other areas more.  By this point I was just too exhausted to continue.  


The visors were a pain since I had to paint the slits freehand.



The Battle Mechs are really old.  However, I think I painted them in the same scheme years ago.




Next up, Control Battalion vehicles.  Not sure if I will go with Old Crow hover vehicles (which I have in abundance) or pony up for some GZG Walkers.  

4 comments:

  1. They look great in a mass like this. I found the weapons to be a little splindly and wasn't even aware they had vision slits! I think they have a nice silhouette though, I definitely prefer your color choices to mine... They are a bit boring with black armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The sculpts are not as good as what GZG is putting out these days. They were more work than I bargained for. Glad they are done now: these were a Bucket List item for me.

      In general I tend to lean to warm greys and light blues for generic sci fi stuff (Tamiya Light Blue and Japanese Navy Grey are good colors, or any Light Sea Grey for that matter). I have only done black twice: once on Laserburn Blackguard and on Crusty Power Armor (with orange and white accents). Dark colors are just too hard for me to pull off at this scale.

      Delete
  2. So cool! I'm tempted to order some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting for sure, just more work than I wanted. However, the number of individual poses is quite impressive. I would recommend them.

      Delete

Visitor Total