Saturday 11 September 2021

15mm Sci Fi - Traveller Zhodani, by Eureka Miniatures (aka Venturans)

This week saw another painting project complete, Zhodani Lift Infantry (from the Traveller RPG), by Eureka Miniatures (also known as Venturans I do believe).   These guys were kicking around for over a year now so I was mainly interested in just getting them done, especially since I had almost 100 of them to complete.  My advice: do not buy 100 of these.

Right off the bat, I will say I am not happy with them.  They turned out quite different than I would have liked....more of a sandy color than a warm grey.  But, I was not going to spend more time on them via stripping to take another crack at them (although I almost threw them into the tank this morning).  They are done and that is that.

Zhodani Marines secure a landing zone on Acheron V.

The sculpts were ok.  However I make a rookie mistake and forgot to file off mold lines on the helmets.  GASP!  This was unacceptable.  I managed to fix this later.  How could I make such a basic error?  Oh I know, impatience.  The weapons were nothing to write home about.  GZG leads the way with weapon sculpts now.

They were paint scheme was simple:

  • Primed AJ Grey.
  • Base coated in Tamiya JN Grey.  Weapons and items picked out in Sea Grey.  Visors done in GW Contrast Aethermatic Blue.  This is a great special effects color since it is very translucent.    
  • Washed in Polyshades Tudor.
  • Helmets filed off and re-primed  by hand with AK Grey and dry brushed with Vallejo Model Color Buff.  THIS WAS A HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!
  • Visor washed in Army Painter Blue Tone.  Highlighted with Vallejo Model Color Glacier Blue.
  • Armor highlighted with Tamiya Weathering Pigments Light Sand.  These pigments are much more subtle than a drybrush of paint, and the Light Sand was the perfect color for the armor.  I also used the Tamiya Grey Pigment on the weapons.  I will have to do a blog entry on these products some time.
  • Vallejo White Grey dots added for light reflection.  I did this to make the models a little less boring visually due to their rather bland scheme.  
  • Matte varnished with AK Matte Sealer.  This also prevents the pigments from rubbing off.

Grav IFVs are integral to Zhodani marine operations.

The number of poses in this range are limited.  I do not know why I painted almost 100 of these guys.  Probably because I am an idiot.  Most of them are not in the photo of course.  That would be pointless.

Warbots provide heavy support if needed.

Riflemen of various types, a SAW gunner (which is kind of boring), a missile launcher dude (another boring pose), a ammo bearer (yawn), a couple of officers and a heavy machine gunner.  I teamed the last guy up with two other figures to create a larger weapon teams, 4 of them in total.

Zhodani Officers plan the next phase of the operation.

I did consider doing multiple colors on these guys.  However the details are just so small that I did not think it was worth the effort (especially when 100 guys are staring at you).  GZG UNSC Hardsuit Marines (which are identical to Traveller 3th Imperium Marines, the Zhodani's main foes) are their closest companions in terms of size and design.  













Anyway, I am happy they are done and at least out of their plastic bag, even if they are not really what I was trying to achieve.  They could fit in Alien Squad Leader as Human Imperials or as Alien Imperials.  In Tomorrows War or Stargrunt they might join my GZG Darghaur forces in the invasion of Human Space.




8 comments:

  1. Awesome work. If you want to add a little variety to them have a look at Darkest Star Games Venturians in 15mm very similar. Equipment is slightly different, so I use them as Zhodani Commandos. https://www.darkeststargames.com/15mm-dark-star-sci-fi-range--venturian.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I need to get some. They were on my list last year but I forgot about them actually. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Darren, yeah I was going to recommend those Darkest Star Games Venturians also. I think the vehicles would also fit. Very nice work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don. I have a single grab lift apc. It’s bloody huge. I just might pickup the rest.

      Delete
  3. Why they may not have turned out as you wanted, I think you're being too hard on yourself. They look sharp. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. I spent this morning smoothing out some of the weapon highlights and whatnot. We are our own worst critics.

      Delete
  4. Dude, you are way too hard on yourself. These look GREAT! And you have 100 of them! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip. They are growing on me. Sometimes I get an image in my head of how I want something to look....and nothing else will suffice. It’s stupid really.

      Delete

Visitor Total