Tuesday 21 July 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Khurasan Miniatures Flying Saucers

Over the years I have painted and sold thousands of models.  Typically I do ok on such sales, making a tidy profit which funds my hobby.  However, last year I made the mistake of selling a large part of my 15mm sci fi collection (something I never thought I would do), selling some six armies(Kra'Vak, Xar, Alien Greys, Xenomorphs, UNSC and Tomorrows War US Marines). I did not regret it at the time since I had not played in years.  Eventually though, I picked up a brush (to do something totally unrelated) and was bitten by the paint bug.  So, starting in May of this year I began a painting marathon.

Funny enough, sometimes in life you have to take a step back before moving forward.  I was happy with what I had painted in the past but I can certainly do better now.  Fortunately this blog recorded the steps taken to create my armies so I was able to retrace my steps and better yet improve upon them.  The Kra'Vak, Xar, Greys, USNC and US Marines are back, and better than ever.   800+ models painted since May with more coming.  With organization and planning I am able to easily paint dozens of models a day to my fussy standard that is probably overkill on 15mm figures.

A couple of things I learned over the years (and recently) which helped me become more efficient.

1) Keep a painting log.  I have always done this but it is important if you want to retrace your steps or add forces at a future point and want uniformity.

2) Get some practice models.  I use old GZG ESU Naval Infantry to try out airbrush color schemes.  This helped me avoid needless stripping of the models I actually wanted to paint.

3) Standardization.  Keep basing methods standard as well as base size.  In the past I had switched up my schemes which caused non-uniformity.  Now I use the same method for everything.  It is likely that I am single handedly keeping at least one metal washer company in business.

4) At 15mm washes are your friend.  Learn the difference between products and how they work.  GW, Army Painter and Vallejo washes are not the same and work differently from each other.

5) Use bright colors, even for modern day military figures (I use a white undercoat for almost everything at 15mm).  Complex blending and shading is for 28mm.  At 15mm you need high/sharp contrast to see anything at a distance.  If you think you have overdone it than it is probably just right for 15mm.  

6) Tamiya paints are superb for airbrushing, especially for basecoats in lieu of a traditional primer.  The lighter colors like JN Grey, Light Blue, Grey Green and Medium Grey are great for sci fi figures.  NATO Black and German Grey are great for vehicle basecoats.

7) Think real hard before you sell your stuff.  


This weekend I managed to bang off 100+ models: 65 Asgard Marines, 24 Khurasan Xenomorphs, 11 Khurasan Xenomorph Bio Force Shock Troopers and two Khurasan Flying Saucers.   The models required some minor clean-up, typical of Khurasan resin models.  

There were super simple to paint: Tamiya NATO Black undercoat, followed by Vallejo Black Metal, Vallejo Gun Metal, Vallejo Steel and Vallejo Chrome, all sprayed at 45 degree angles to achieve a color modulation effect.  Windows were left metallic, washed with Tamiya Clear Red and then washed with Army Painter Dark Tone.   Vallejo metallic paints are a joy to airbrush - they are the smoothest metallics that I have ever worked with.  

15mm Khurasan Flying Saucer

These babies complete my Alien Grey Army which is now totally rebuilt.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Total