Friday 31 July 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Brigade Models Polish Mechanized Infantry

Over Thursday and Friday this week I finally got around to painting a range that has been on my to-do list for years: Brigade Models Polish Mechanized Infantry.

This range was originally released by Armies Army, as Neo-Soviet Infantry I do believe.  In any case the range was picked up by Brigade and re-released as a Polish line.  These guys reminded me of both the 40K Steel Legion and the Pig Iron 28mm Kolony Militia range.  Other projects were always in the way and I never had a good reason to paint these guys, until today (57 of them in fact).


The models are large, similar to GZG in size.  There was virtually no cleanup at all and mold lines were non-existent except on a couple of models here and there.  The scheme I chose was simple: a Soviet style tan color, suitable for Sci Fi or Post Apocalyptic.

The color palette was as follows:

  • Tamiya Flat white base.
  • Tamiya Buff base coat.
  • Gas Masks - Reaper Rainy Grey  followed by a coat of GW Basilicanum Grey Contrast Paint
  • Reaper Tanned Flesh Highlight on the hands
  • Reaper Afterburner Grey on all weapons and binocs.
  • Reaper Khaki Highlight on belts and pouches
  • Vallejo Carmine Red on the helmet laser sight
  • GW Black Templar Contrast paint on all boots.
  • Vallejo Pale Green for RPG warheads.
  • GW Creed Camo Contrast Paint on the sniper's helmet.


The models were then washed in Minwax Polyshades Tudor.  I tried Army Painter Strong Tone dip on one model but I found it was too light for my taste.  I always brush on Minwax, starting from the top down.  One dip of the brush is enough to coat the whole model.


If possible I set models outside to dry, which only takes maybe an hour or two on a hot day.  After this they receive a coat of Vallejo Matte Mecha Varnish and then the detailed highlighting begins.  I used Vallejo Model Air Sand Yellow followed by Vallejo Sand Ivory for various parts of the uniforms, just to make certain armor plates and helmet edges stand out.  The pouches were re-highlighted with Reaper Khaki Highlight.  Vallejo Desert Tan is another color which could be used to fix mistakes or to highlight areas like the helmet if you wanted a less stark contrast.

Post Paint Rework Issues: If any uniform areas need touchup then Vallejo Desert Tan is a perfect match, post Min-Wax.  I did discover some mold lines on certain helmets, post-paint.  This was due to the soft white light I was working under which caused me to miss certain defective areas.  I used my Dremel to grind them off and then repainted the areas in Tamiya Buff, followed by a small pin wash of Army Painter Strong Tone.  Desert Tan was then used to blend and make the rework areas look seamless.  Maybe I am getting old, but more and more I am finding that I miss things like this until it is too late and fixing the issue becomes a major pain.  I could inspect each model with my magnifier light I guess.  That sounds equally painful.


All of my bases are done the same: Tamiya Flat Earth, followed by a drybrush of Reaper Dirty Bone followed by Woodland Scenics Earth, Grass and Weeds flock.

Overall I am very pleased with this range.  They would fit well into any near future game such as Zone Alpha, Rogue Stars, Tomorrow's War or Gruntz.

2 comments:

  1. I love them. A much more believable colour scheme than I chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skully. They are nice models for sure. Anything with gas masks is like cocaine to me.

      Delete

Visitor Total