Wednesday 8 December 2021

15mm Sci Fi - Using Heroscape Terrain in games

 Photo-rummaging sometimes yields results.  Years ago I discovered that Heroscape Terrain can be used for both 15mm Sci Fi & Battletech games.  Heroscape tiles are stackable, allowing you to create any number of hill combinations easily.  They come in rather garish colors, so I painted mine the same color green as my felt Battletech mat (I had the paint color-matched at Home Depot....yes I used latex house paint on my tiles....don't judge me!).

You can purchase Heroscape tiles here:

https://www.allthingsheroscape.com/collections/heroscape-terrain

An Alien Squad Leader Battlefield

The photos below are from an Alien Squad Leader game.  I present them with no commentary (since I cannot remember anything mainly).  

My Built-Up Areas for ASQL.  Most terrain in this game consists of "areas" (urban, forest, swamp, ect).


The trees are 1:300 scale I do believe.  They are robust.


The Heroscape hexes were the same size as the mat I used for Battletech games.  Very convenient.



Hills can be barren or have foliage of course.  


The forces involved: Human Imperial.


Human Colonial Defense Force.





Water tiles & Urban roads/paved surfaces...these are MDF hex tiles, painted for various depths.  




Perhaps this idea will be of use to someone?  



2 comments:

  1. "Perhaps this idea will be of use to someone?"

    I certainly think so. Very effective with the only potential downside I see would be from gamers who don't care for the esthetics of stepped terrain like Geo Hex itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is possible. Functionally stepped hex hills tend to work better than slopped hills made from foam core. In any case, for Battletech, these were perfect. Each hex fit inside a hex on my felt map.

      Delete

Visitor Total