Saturday 26 September 2020

15mm Sci Fi - Alternative Armies HOF Giant Mechanoids

Who does not love giant murdering cyborgs?  Well, some time ago I repainted my GZG Crusties Mecha which were part of my Mechanoid/Cyborg Enslaver Army for Alien Squad Leader, changing them from a metallic scheme to a black/white/orange.  This left my two armies without heavy hitting units which was unacceptable.

So, I turned to Alternative Armies in the attempt to find something suitable.  I was not disappointed.  Their HOF Giant Mechanoids were just what I was looking for.  However, at first I was not convinced.  There were no real pictures on the net for these guys and the black and white photos were uninspiring to me.  But, I knew their models are top notch so I gambled that the actual model would be better than I anticipated.

Alternative Armies 15mm HOF Mechanoid

The scheme was simple: 
  1. Tamiya NATO Black basecoat (screw primer)
  2. Vallejo Black Metallic 
  3. Vallejo Gun Metal (sprayed at 45 degree angles)
  4. Vallejo Steel (sprayed at 45 degrees)
  5. Vallejo Chrome (you get the idea)
  6. GW Contrast Warp Lightning and Blood Angels Red for various hoses.
  7. Gloss Coated.
  8. Washed in thinned Min Wax Tudor Polyshades.
  9. Reaper Fire Red, Phoenix Red, Fire Orange and White for the eyes.
Alternative Armies 15mm HOF Mechanoid


Alien Squad Leader allows Mechanoid Battle Mechs to add missiles or assault weapons as an option.  One model was equipped with what looked like a Power Fist (aka an assault weapon).  However, I did want missiles too.  So I used GZG Missile Pods on the other mech.  Of course these could be used in any Sci-Fi Game as a robotic mecha.





Overall I am pleased with these models.  Mold lines were easy to clean up and assembly was almost nil.  They have a bad ass look which fits in with any robotic force.  You could also use them for 25mm (which they were actually designed for back years and years ago).

Another A+ for Alternative Armies.  

4 comments:

  1. Alternative Armies is a great source... For many things! Nice job on these, they have a believable metal look (probably because you sprayed rather than brushed over the big surfaces) with just enough colour accent to catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Airbrushing metallics is the way to go. Otherwise their appearance is usually subpar. Vallejo metallics are super smooth if you use their flow improver.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done....I tend to use spray and then a black wash , fast simple and effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don. Once I started thinning min wax my results greatly improved with that product. Airbrushing the different metallics only takes a few minutes now for me. The system is perfected.

      Delete

Visitor Total