Wednesday 5 August 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Free Cal-Tex

Ground Zero Games has a vast miniature range, both in 25mm and 15mm.  Sadly, for this very reason there are often few photos of some of the older miniatures in their collection.  This can result in a consumer passing those products by since they have no idea what they actually look like.  There are some photos scattered across the internet of these older models, but they are few and far between.  The 15mm Free Cal-Tex models fall into this category.

I originally purchased one pack of these some time ago for a trial run.  As usual, I was not disappointed.  There are only two packs in the range at the moment: a full combat squad with support weapons and another pack with kneeling and prone troopers.  The combat squad contains a leader, four riflemen, a sniper, an RPG gunner and a SAW gunner., all sculpted with light/medium armor.  They initially reminded me of old 1990s 40K Cadians and the alien soldiers from the 1980s TV series "V".  Today I painted another two squads, bringing my force up to 24 troops total.  The figures are heavily armed, including side arms and combat knives.  There is a lot of detail on these guys.


These troops were slotted to an unfilled role in my DPRG force: Special Recon Troops.  They looked particularly sinister and I felt they would fill that role nicely.  Special Recon troops carry out Counter Insurgency operations, sabotage and terror operations against the Republic of Arden. Armed with AK-400s and the Brazilian Destruidor-3 Launcher and Raio Gauss Sniper Rifle they can hold their own against intervening American marines.

They were painted in the same colors as the DPRG regulars (done almost 10 years ago now).


  1. Tamiya Flat White Primer
  2. Vallejo German Uniform (airbrushed on)
  3. Reaper Terran Khaki fatigues, highlighted with Reaper Khaki Highlight.
  4. Weapons - Reaper Afterburner Grey
  5. Belt Pouches - Vallejo German Bright Green Camo
  6. Helmet Visor - NATO Black, followed by layering of Reaper Red Brick, Deep Red and then Blood Red as a highlight.
  7. Washed in Army Painter Strong Tone Dip
  8. Light drybrush of Vallejo German Uniform to bring out the details on the armor and helmet.
Note that I did not paint these chaps in the same style as a do now: with extreme highlighting.  I wanted them to blend into my DPRG force so I used the same technique I did 10 years ago.  Sadly they look better in photos and up close than at gaming distance.  At a distance, 3+ feet, they are just brown blobs (as I knew they would be).  Perhaps it is my poor eyes.


The current range does not have any special troops like heavy weapons or command.  Normally I use the Generic Command models for my armies in and case.  However, I did have some odds and ends lying around, so each squad has some robotic support elements available.  GZG has a plethora of robotic models available so filling out squads with missing weapons is not a problem if you are clever.  The robot medic is a platoon support element.  He was all alone in my WIP pile forever.  Now, he is happy.


In the end, I am pleased with this range.  They would make great generic bad guys or security troops.  They could also be used en-mass as an army in larger miniature games like ASL, assuming you fill out the missing elements with other models.


2 comments:

  1. They look good, I like the idea of filling out the force with robots. I painted up some of these years ago with the though that they'd make good starport security. The lack of extra figure poses/support weapons isn't such a drawback for that role.
    https://minimetalmayhem.blogspot.com/search?q=cal-tex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You are correct there. They have three support weapons in the squad so actually the selection is not too bad. I have seen all your stuff over the years Paul. It is what helped inspire me to paint GZGs whole range. Bareheaded Mercs are next along with the fat Stargate packs.

      Delete

Visitor Total