Tuesday 4 August 2020

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Outrim Coalition

My painting marathon continues....over Sunday and Monday I banged off 80+ Outrim Coaltion figures from GZG.  I have been meaning to paint these guys for awhile now but I could not think of a color scheme that inspired me.  So, earlier this year I picked up a pack of 8 riflemen painted them in four separate color schemes: Tamiya Light Blue, JN Grey, Light Royal Grey and Vallejo Pale Blue Grey.  They were all very sci-fi in appearance.  So, I presented them to my standard painting critic: my Wife.  She picked Light Blue.  Problem solved.  JN Grey was my second choice (they all looked good actually) and will probably be used on GZG NI Infantry force.

GZG Outrim Coalition


GZG Outrim Coalition - left to right: Light Blue, Royal Light Grey, Pale Blue Grey, JN Grey

The models required almost no cleanup.  All I did was give the helmet tops a light sand to remove a minor mold line.

The color palette was as follows:
  1. Hot glue all infantry to Popsicle sticks.  This is basically step zero, prior to airbrushing.
  2. Primed White
  3. Tamiya Light Blue basecoat
  4. Weapons - Reaper Afterburner Grey
  5. Visor - coated with Vallejo Chrome then washed with Tamiya Clear Red.
  6. Special weapons were given yellow markings in Tamiya Yellow Green then in Reaper Lantern Yellow.
  7. Entire model washed in Army Painter Military Shader.
  8. Visor washed in Army Painter Strong tone (to bring it down a bit in shine)
  9. Armor highlighted post wash in 3 steps:

    • Vallejo Pale Blue
    • Vallejo Pale Blue Grey
    • Reaper Ghost White for extreme highlights in certain areas.

  I did not bother to paint the belt pouches a separate color, considering the kit would be painted the same as the armor (ala Stormtrooper belts).


GZG Outrim Coalition Special Weapons

GZG Outrim Coalition Heavy Weapon Teams
Power armor teams were done in an identical pattern  Shoulder plates were painted in Ghost White post wash.
GZG Outrim Coalition Power Armor


Overall I cannot complain on how these models turned out.  The light blue fits a space marine force and pops from a distance.  The models are typical of GZG's high quality, particularly the power armor troops.  They are large and quite imposing.  Perfect for a mysterious force from beyond human space.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sculpts and you did a fantastic job on painting them. Man, your output is amazing. Soon you will have a painted example of every 15mm miniature out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I need to post pictures of my GZG Brazilians, Free Cal-Tex, DRPG, UNSC, NI, Armored SWAT, Crusties...most of what I have done over the years is not cataloged on here yet.

      Delete

Visitor Total