Tuesday 7 September 2021

15mm Sci Fi - GZG Outrim Coalition, Squad Leaders & 200th post!

 This is my 200th blog post!  When I started this seven years ago I never imagined getting this far, or surpassing 130000K views.  I appreciate every single person who has ever perused these pages and for all the kind and wonderful comments.  Your feedback is most appreciated and drives me forward.

Recently I was thinking about how to better represent Leader figures in 15mm games.  Most suppliers create officer and leader models, but at a distance they often fade into the background with the rest of the army.  Thankfully I had eight spare GZG models in my WIP pile, Outrim Coalition.  They were just regular troopers mind you, but they gave me an idea: I would paint them in two different colors and use them as Squad & Platoon Leaders.  

My Outrim Coalition can be found here: 

https://darebearsminiemporium.blogspot.com/2020/09/15mm-sci-fi-gzg-outrim-coalition.html

GZG Outrim Coalition

My Outrim forces are done in a blue scheme.  To contrast that I chose a Vallejo Model Air 71.105 RLM26 Brown (more of a red actually) and Tamiya JN Grey.  They were then washed in Polyshades Antique Walnut and Tudor respectively.  Highlights were done with Vallejo Model Color 70.817 Scarlet and 70.829 Amarantha Red & GW Longbeard Grey respectively.  The visors were painted Vallejo Chrome & then washed with Tamiya Clear Red and GW Contrast Aethermatic Blue.  White dots were added at various points to simulate reflected light hitting a corner.  

UPDATE: I have replaced the white dots on the RLM26 Brown models with Vallejo Model Color German Orange to create a less stark appearance.


A simpler solution would have been to simply paint the rims of the bases different colors.  However I wanted something a little more striking and more individualistic, especially for smaller games.  



Anyway, I do not know why I did not think of this solution earlier.   It is certainly not a revolutionary idea mind you.  However, it makes it much easier to visually see where the leaders are and where units should be forming up around.  An easy enough solution, with a side benefit that these can also be used as character models in small skirmish games alongside regular troops.  I need to expand this idea to my other armies I think.

6 comments:

  1. i put c/o s on bigger bases then 2nd co on smaller base then pldrs on a squre or round base all other tropps on a squre base the same size special weapons also go on rounds bases some time i turn the squre to a diamond shape and base them hv and special weapon depends on how i want the unit to look

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! You are making me miss GZG...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might tone down the dots tonight. They look better in person than in pictures (generally anything of mine that is zoomed in tends to look meh), but on the red/brown it might be a bit stark. I have to think about it.

      GZG has such a huge range now. You must order. Order them all.

      Delete
  3. One of my fav forces from GZG, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skully. They are my favorite GZG hardsuit armor troops actually.

      Delete

Visitor Total